"as professional industrial designers in the premium toy industry and as academy teachers, we found this challenge to be an opportunity to revisit bamboo as a material and its opportunities. the bamboo plant has many outstanding features and qualities (see bamboo facts). as a material it has been ingeniously used for centuries by generations of artisans, toolmakers and architects. traveling to asia, one can easily notice many amazing structures, furniture and various other common applications utilizing this material.currently, various contemporary creators are investigating the question of integrating bamboo into the mass production perception while meeting western standards."
the journey to china
b a m b o o f a c t s- bamboo grows more rapidly than any other (woody)plant on earth.
- larger species can grow over 1 meter per day.
- bamboo stands release 35% more oxygen than equivalent stands of trees.
- unlike most trees proper harvesting does not kill the bamboo plant.
- in chinese the bamboo is known as 'zhu'.
- thomas edison successfully used a carbonized bamboo filament in his experiment with the first light bulb.
- bamboo related industries provide income, food and housing to over 2.2 billion people worldwide.
- anji is china’s largest bamboo forest, covering an area of more than '600 mu' or '40 hectares'.
- there are around 1,500 species of bamboo thriving in diverse terrain from sea level to 12,000 feet on every continent except antarctica.
project direction,and text:
yoav ziv and assaf eshet
all images © copyright:
assaf eshet, yoav ziv, bruce xu and ran plotzky
HaPe international ltd. together with shenkar college of engineering and design own jointly all IP rights of displayed works.